Description: This photo shows the original building of Bryant Elementary, which once stood at 821 30th Street. The school was built in 1890 and named after the American poet, William Cullen Bryant. There were several additions built onto the school after this photo was taken. The school was modernized in the 1930s, and again in the 1950s. Bryant Elementary is one of the oldest schools in Sioux City that is still standing, more or less, in the original building. However, the school is due to be replaced in the near future, and a new, more modern Bryant Elementary is scheduled to be built in 2019. Bryant was one of many elementary schools in Sioux City to participate in an all-school symphony concert in the 1940s, which took place at the Orpheum Theatre. Other Northside elementary schools include Irving Elementary, which was built in 1886 and replaced in 2006, Hunt Elementary, built in 1906 and still standing, and Hawthorne Elementary in Leeds, which closed in 2008 when the new Leeds Elementary School opened. Bancroft Elementary school, originally built in 1888, burned down in 1933 and was rebuilt a year later, only to be razed in 2009. Originally students from these schools went to Central High, but since it closed most students on the Northside attend North Middle and North High Schools, part of the Sioux City Community School District.
Donor information not available